Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) and Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) users, click here to download Visage 2.4.2!
Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) users, click here to download Visage 2.4.1
Mac OS 10.3 (Panther) users, click here to download Visage 1.3.1
Mac OS 10.2 (Jaguar) users, click here to download Visage 1.2.4
Mac OS 10.1 (Puma) users, click here to download Visage 1.0.1
Do you have a cool image that you use with Visage?
Email it to me
and I'll include it on my site as a sample login panel image or sample login background. You'll be famous!
Visage allows you to easily and safely customize the appearance of your Mac. The preference pane's simple interface contains several tabs, each of which will help you customize a different part of your Mac. You can run screen savers as your desktop background, customize your login panel, personalize system alerts, and more! Visage keeps track of Apple's default settings for every
customization, so you can easily switch back to the original settings at any time.
If you like to personalize your Mac, Visage is an essential tool!!
- Desktop Effects: The first tab allows you to run screen savers in the background on your desktop while you work. Visage remembers your favorite 'desktop effects' and can automatically rotate among them at a designated time interval. Visage lets you control the CPU usage of the effects and can even start desktop effects automatically at login.
- Login Background: The second tab lets you use any jpeg image as the background image of your login screen. The feature to randomize the login background no longer works in Mac OS 10.5 Leopard, but you can still set a custom non-random background.
- Login Panel: The third tab allows you to customize the login panel itself. You may use your own images in place of the Apple logo and 'Mac OS X' image. As always, Visage maintains a collection of your favorite images so that you can quickly and easily change between them. You may also display a textual banner, which is useful for organizations that wish to display a message to all users prior to login.
- Personal Alerts: The fourth tab lets you personalize system alerts. You can have alerts such as the shut down confirmation say your name or any other phrase!
Visage 2.0 requires Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger).
You may try Visage for free with absolutely no restrictions for 7 days. After the trial period, you are requested to pay $9.95 or some features will be limited. To register, open Visage in System Preferences and click the Register button. By registering, you will help ensure that this wonderful program continues to be improved in the future! Visage comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.
Visage 2.x is a free upgrade for anybody that registered a previous version. Visage has been helping us customize our Macs since 2001, and all of the upgrades have been free! To obtain a coupon code to upgrade Visage for free,
and include the email address you used to register the previous version of Visage.
A streamlined version of Visage called Visage Login is also available. Visage Login is a standalone application that only deals with the Mac OS X login screen. Visage Login is ideal for organizations that want to quickly create custom login screens for their machines, but don't need all the extra features provided by the Visage preference pane. Specifically, the Visage preference pane has all the features of Visage Login, and it also lets you run screensavers as your desktop background, personalize system alerts, and change the boot message.
Available in English, Spanish, French, German, Traditional Chinese, and Italian.
If anybody would like to translate Visage into another language,
send me an email.
Translators must have Interface Builder installed, which is part of Apple's free Xcode development tools suite.
- Login panel images: Check out our image collection!
- Login screen backgrounds: Check out our background collection! There are also numerous images available for download from other sites which
look great as login backgrounds. Do a web search for "desktop pictures"
or "desktop wallpaper." Also, MacDesktops has a collection of desktop pictures.
The image you use must be a jpg image. However, programs such as Preview and GraphicConverter allow you to easily convert between image formats.
- For more desktop effects (screen savers), go to VersionTracker or MacUpdate and do a search for "screensaver" among the Mac OS X offerings. I like the LotsaWater and LotsaSnow screensavers, although they require a newer computer with a good graphics card for best performance.
Have a cool image that you use with Visage?
Send it to me,
and if I really like your submission I'll include it as a sample on my site or in future Visage distributions. You'll be famous!
Have a question?
Check out the list of frequently asked questions and answers.
Version History: View the change log for Visage.